Monday 28 December 2015

December turnings

Here are a few turnings from earlier in December:

My latest development of vases inspired by Marcel van Berkel's demonstration at the AWGB seminar. The shape is more like the scorched vases I have been making recently. Ribs cut on the inside, a grinder to cut scallops on the outside, lightly scorched then coloured with red and black acrylic wood dye. This time I cut the scallops further into the rim creating a lighter look.
Another view showing the rim more clearly and the inside which was painted with blackboard paint to give a matt black appearance.
A commission: an oak bowl on a pedestal which will be used to display turned wooden fruit. Finished with oil and renaissance wax. I already had a suitable oak bowl which had been rough turned and dried but I didn't have anything suitable for the base. Luckily the wood I bought was a good match!
This view shows the foot a bit more clearly.
This vase was scorched, the grain brushed out and painted with bronze metallic paint. Verdigris wax was rubbed into the grain: when the excess was removed it took off some of the brass paint, giving the effect of ageing or tarnishing.

No comments: